Thursday, July 16, 2009

Victim of the Economy

I work for Chrysler Financial, the former finance captive for Chrysler LLC. As a result of Chrysler's bankruptcy filing, GMAC is now the new captive and my employer of 13 years has become a casualty of these unprecedented times. The general public and even friends and family have many misconceptions about this event. Many think that Chrysler Financial was a part of the bankruptcy and that we are back in business now that the new car company has emerged out of chapter 11 with a new partner in Fiat.

Well, that just isn't the case. Chrysler Financial is no longer in the automotive finance business. GMAC has become the new captive due to their banking license which allows them to obtain funding for new business in a less costly manner through depository accounts. Moving on, this has put all of our workforce in a very unique situation that many of us have never faced before. There have been layoffs due to the lack of business and the fact that the company is in a liquidation mode. Having to watch colleagues pack up their personal belongings and leave the office for the last time was not a pleasant experience.

There are possibilities of the company continuing in one form or another but for right now, that's a long shot. I was offered an option for separation which I had to decline due to my personal situation; My wife and I are expecting our first child in October and, at this time, insurance benefits are a priority. So, I have been fortunate enough to be reassigned as a lender representative. Which means that I represent the company when needed at a dealership to protect any inventory or assets.

I am in this situation because I have been fiercely loyal to my job and to my company. However, I refuse to see myself as a victim of the economy. I grew up in the Chicago area, went to college at the University of Illinois in Champaign, finished my MBA at DePaul, and always thought I would never leave Chicago. Then I started working for Chrysler Financial and opportunities for advancement took me to places I have never been. I worked in six different locales in all and I would not trade my experiences for the world because they have made me the person I am today. So, again I say, I refuse to see myself as a victim and believe that when one door closes another one opens ..... I just need to stick my foot in.

No comments:

Post a Comment